Fall 2020 Orientation Midway
The fall Orientation Midway will be virtual and held on Thursday, August 27th from 11 AM to 1 PM Eastern Time, and will be using the same platform <midway.mit.edu> that was developed in the spring for the CP* Midway. If groups wish to have a Zoom call to interact with new students during the event, they are responsible for making their own Zoom link that is protected by MIT certificates (by checking the “Only authenticated users can join” box when creating a meeting.) The Zoom links can be posted on your group’s page on the website and will be displayed at the time of the event for students to access. (Groups may choose to use another virtual chat platform, though we encourage the use of Zoom because of its ability to use MIT certificates and prevent external spam.) The website itself will remain up for incoming students who cannot attend the event synchronously to explore groups afterwards. After feedback from student groups during CP*, the website/event is being advertised much more strongly than the CP* website was.
If your group participated in the CP* Midway and still has the link needed to access and edit your group’s page, you do not need to take any further action to register, and can edit and update your page freely.
If you did not participate in the spring Midway and your group does not have a page on the website, or you did participate but would like to change your primary contact email or be re-sent your access link to edit your page, you must fill out this form <https://engage.mit.edu/submitter/form/start/431969> by Wednesday, August 19th at 11:59 PM ET, to provide sufficient time to upload new groups to the website and give time for groups to populate their pages. After your new page has been created or your submission has been processed, the primary contact email you listed will receive a link that will allow you to edit your group’s page and upload any information, media, performance videos, or Zoom links. Start thinking now about what materials you would like to put together to share!
If you have any issues with the form or your group is not on the list and you believe you should still attend, please email us at <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
CPW Midway 2020
The spring CPW Midway is an event where student groups can meet prospective freshman during CPW to begin recruiting early for their group and show the vibrant student life culture at MIT.
Allocations for the 2020 CPW Midway can be found here once they are posted.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Event Details and Expectations
Because space is limited, by signing up for a booth, you are committing to have it staffed the entire time. Please read the expectations below before signing up for a booth. We have laid out the following expectations of groups for our Midways. We set these expectations to ensure that Midway space is used fairly and to help us re-assign space as it becomes available to groups on the waitlist.
The ASA Executive Board members reserve the right to remove groups and members from the Midway for any group's failure to comply with Midway rules and ASA Exec members' requests.
Sign-in and setup
- Your group must sign in with the ASA when you arrive at the Midway.
- Groups can start setup as early as 1:30 PM.
- Groups must check in by 2:00 PM. Groups that are late may be fined $25, and your table may be re-allocated to a group on the waitlist. We will start re-allocating booths promptly at 2:00 PM, so please be on time.
- For the Orientation Midway, ASA early returns must check-in, in addition to their group(s) checking in.
- If your group can no longer attend and/or perform at the Midway, please let us know at least 24 hours in advance. Failure to cancel prior to 24 hours will result in a $25 fine.
- Groups that don't cancel by the time check-in starts will be fined up to $50.
- Limit members at booths (NEW) - In an attempt to alleviate congestion at this year's midway, we are asking that groups limit the number of persons at each booth to 4. If your group has a half table, please limit your club membership to 2. The ASA will make exceptions for performing groups who are about to or have just performed.
- No external speakers - you may use laptop or other similarly quiet speakers. This is to address numerous extreme noise complaints, allow groups to be able to speak to interested individuals, and for performances to be heard. ASA Board members may ask you to reduce the volume or turn off sound on any speakers if it is causing problems for your neighbors or performances.
- Stay at/by your booth - no handing out flyers at the doorway, no blocking the entrance or aisles, etc.
- In order to keep walkways clear for fire safety reasons, groups are required to stay within arms reach of their table at all points. Do not block any entrances or aisles or hand out flyers at the doorway. Non-compliance may result in a $50 fine.
- If your booth is not staffed at any point during that 2 hour period, your group will be fined $25.
- Groups that leave before the conclusion of the Midway without permission from the ASA will incur a $50 fine.
- Keep walkways clear at all times (NEW) We have had issues in the past where students with limited mobility had issues moving through the crowds due to the congestion of people; please always stand within arm's reach of your table to help alleviate crowding.
- Greek letters cannot be worn during the CPW Midway unless you are working the IFC or Panhel booth.
- Due to the number of performing groups, each performer has up to 4 MINUTES for their set.
- Any music used for your performance should be non-explicit and appropriately censored.
- Depending on each Midway and number of groups who sign up to perform, buffer time will be added.
- Please make your music cuts of no more than 4 MINUTES. Submission information will be sent to each group with a performance time.
If your group is not listed in the booth assignments:
- If you submitted a request, please email firstname.lastname@example.org (forward the email from the submission form if possible). We will do our best to assign you a table in advance of the Midway.